- 1. 18-60 years old.
- 2. Healthy.
- 3. High school graduates or above.
I would like to study the language and get to know the people and culture
- 2 Years ago
Xiamen university has a reputation of being a prestigious and well-renowned academic institution. The language courses you offer are popular among overseas students who want to enhance their Chinese language skills like myself. I have been studying Mandarin for five years and going to Xiamen University will improve my Mandarin skill so I can use them in my future professional career. Additionally, Xiamen city is different from Shanghai so I hope to get a new perspective on China and appreciate the culture even more.
- 2 Years ago
IT is a good university as per my belief...
- 3 Years ago
Xiamen is one of the most beautiful cities in China and luckily it also holds one of the most prestigious and highly regarded Universities. XMU also has excellent study facilities and offers a range of optional courses that are of interest to me.
- 3 Years ago
- From:United Kingdom
1. High-quality education and research
2. Excellent support services for international students international students
- 4 Years ago
- Students get access to Confucius Institute Scholarship;
- The University is equipped with Top-notch facilities;
- XMU developed Extensive international cooperation;
- XMU is a HSK test center approved by MOE;
- XMU offers students with safe and comfortable apartments on campus, costing only 1000RMB per semester;
- Students can change from long-term Chinese program to junior college or undergraduate study of Chinese language.
1. Teaching Objective
Editor Notes: This Chinese language program of XMU aims to help develop students' Chinese consciousness and language sense.
- To hlep srudents master Chinese knowledge in Chinese listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
- To help students get a better understanding of Chinese culture and customs.
2. Program Introduction
Editor Notes: Students are divided into different levels based on the result of the placement test taken at the beginning of the semester.
- All courses are taken in a semester, including major and optional courses add up to 18—24 credits.
- As for the credit hours, depending on their Chinese levels, students can choose their own courses with a maximum credit hours of 24/semester.
3. Courses Arrangement
Editor Notes: The main and optional courses as well as the the sample curriculum will be shown.
3.1 Major Courses
Elementary Chinese Intermediate Chinese Advanced Chinese Oral Chinese Chinese Listening News Listening Chinese Reading Chinese Writing
3.2 Optional Courses
HSK lectures(elementary & intermediate) Chinese Customs lementary Oral Chinese for Economy & Trade Computer Application in Chinese Language Newspaper Reading Modern Chinese Phonetics General Introduction to Chinese Character Modern Chinese Grammar Modern Chinese Rhetorics Chinese language and social culture Peoples and Customs in China Translation Poems of Tang Dynasty Chinese Movies Chinese Music Chinese Calligraphy I-go Game Minnan Dialect Chinese Kungfu Chinese Dances
Students can choose their own courses according to their Chinese levels and suggestions of OEC office. The maximum credit hours is 24 per semester.
4. Introduction to Major Courses
1).Intensive Chinese (elementary, intermediate and advanced): The course is designed to teach you skills and rules for Chinese pronunciation and the reading and writing of Chinese characters; it discusses Chinese vocabulary and grammar and their applications and develops your proficiency in written Chinese. It is designed to help to learn knowledge about Chinese language in comprehensive manner, thus laying a solid foundation for your application of what you have learned about Chinese. The course has 6-10 classes per week and is offered at all three levels of elementary, intermediate and advanced classes.
2).Oral Chinese: In a very happy and relaxed classroom atmosphere with professional teaching and ample exercises, you gradually improve your Chinese communication ability; get to know the communication skills of the Chinese people. With the improvement of your language ability, you can express your personal view on a particular topic completely and frequently in standard Chinese. You also cultivate the habit of thinking in Chinese and the ability to choose the proper expressions for different persons you are talking to on proper occasions. In all, you can learn to deal with various communication situations. The course has 4-6 classes per week and is offered at all three levels of elementary, intermediate and advanced classes.
3).Chinese Listening & News Listening: The course aims at improving your listening ability through systematic instruction and ample exercises. You can gradually learn to understand the real intent of the speaker in the conversion, enhance your ability to differentiate the words, to analyze, and summarize the speeches, as well as to make association and guessing. In the course of study, you will be trained to understand the speeches delivered at faster and faster pace and the news broadcast of the familiar topics and popular radio and TV programs. Finally, you can understand Chinese spoken in real communication situation and at the same time, consciously pick up new words, phrases, and usages. In a word, you can improve the sensibility on real application and development of Chinese language. The course has 4 class periods per week and is offered at all three levels of elementary, intermediate and advanced classes.
4).Reading comprehension: The course aims to heighten your level of reading comprehension of Chinese through systemic instruction and ample exercises. You learn gradually to read literary readers of generic level, news reports, routine documents, public notices, letters, etc. By the end of the course, you should know how to by-pass barriers, understanding the message and major points, explain the clues, transitions and development of narrative articles in Chinese, how to summarize the theme by reading the topic, finding the key words and topic sentences. You should also have learnt the self-study ability of using dictionaries to remove barriers and of speeding up your reading. The course has 4 class periods per week and is offered at all three levels of elementary, intermediate and advanced classes.Credit hours: Students can choose their own courses according to their Chinese levels and suggestions of OEC office. The maximum credit hours is 24 per semester.
Extracurricular Activities: Visit to Xiamen University and historic cultural spots (self-paid), all kinds of gala evenings organized by the OEC every semester, Chinese language competitions, field and track sports competitions, football matches, Marathon and so on. (Self-paid). - See more at: https://english.xmuoec.com/programview.ashx?website_id=49#sthash.hjAooqMF.dpufCredit hours: Students can choose their own courses according to their Chinese levels and suggestions of OEC office. The maximum credit hours is 24 per semester.
Extracurricular Activities: Visit to Xiamen University and historic cultural spots (self-paid), all kinds of gala evenings organized by the OEC every semester, Chinese language competitions, field and track sports competitions, football matches, Marathon and so on. (Self-paid). - See more at: https://english.xmuoec.com/programview.ashx?website_id=49#sthash.hjAooqMF.dpuf
5. Time of Study
Editor Notes: The exact time arrangement shall depend on the actual situation.
- Over 1 semester, Monday to Friday, 18 - 24 hours per week, 18 weeks per semester;
- Spring Semester: February/March to June;
- Autumn Semester: September to the next January.
5.2 Possible class hours
- 8:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- 13:00 a.m. - 14:30 p.m.
- 14:40 p.m. - 16:10 p.m.
Editor Notes: The costs shown here are onlr for reference and it may change a little according to actual situation.
Totally about 40,000RMB per year, a quite reasonable amount compared to other univerisities in China due to the low costs in dormitory rents and meals on Xiang'an campus.
- Meals: about 600-900RMB for meals per month, using XMU e-card in dining halls.
- Health check in Xiamen Quarantine Bureau: about 500RMB.
- Residence Permit in Xiamen (Visa): 400RMB (<1 year).
- Textbook fee: based on the courses you take, about 300RMB per semester.
- Insurance premium: about 600 RMB.
- There might be some other expenses, but it won't be much.
7. Extracurricular Activities
Edoitor Notes: Rich and colorful activities are to be hosted quite often.
- Visit to Xiamen University and historic cultural spots (self-paid);
- All kinds of gala evenings organized by the OEC every semester;
- Chinese language competitions, field and track sports competitions, football matches, Marathon and so on. (Self-paid).
8. Certificates Awarded
Certificate of Completion issued by Overseas Education College of Xiamen University
9. Career and Development
Graduates work as business Chinese talents, TCSOL teachers, a messenger of cultural communication between China and foreign countries etc.
Editor Notes: Students should pay attention to the following good news!
- Long term Chinese language students can apply to join undergraduate or junior college Chinese program. If it is approved, the credits they achieved can be transferred to the undergraduate or junior college program after certain procedures.
- Tuition fee can not be refunded if you paid for one semester or less and decide to give up your study in OEC. If you paid for more than one semester and report to OEC about your decision to quit your study before the next academic term starts, the exceeding part can be returned to you according to relevant regulations of XMU.
11. Introduction to XMU
Editor Notes: Xiamen University was the first university in China founded by an overseas Chinese.
- At present, Xiamen University is the only university in any of five special economic zones.
- XMU is one of China 's higher-level universities designated for the state key construction of the “211 Project” and the "985 Project".
- Currently, Professor Zhu Chongshi is the President of the University and Professor Zhu Zhiwen is the Chairman of the University Council.
- 1. 18-60 years old.
- 2. Healthy.
- 3. High school graduates or above.
Tuition Fee Non-degree RMB 13,000 in total (About $ 2,385) Accommodation Fee Siming Campus International Students Apartment Double Room RMB 25 to RMB 100 (More Details) Quad room RMB 8 to RMB 50 (More Details) Single Room RMB 25 to RMB 100 (More Details) Xiang’an Campus International Students Apartment Double Room RMB 2,000 to RMB 4,000 (More Details) Other Fees Application Fee USD 75 Service Fee USD 100 Living Expense RMB 2,000 to RMB 2,600
- Application Materials
"*" means necessary documents that you must provide in your application.
*1. A photocopy of valid passport
With name, passport number & expiration date, and photo included
2. A two-inch photo
*3. Certificate/diploma of highest education
Certificate in languages other than Chinese or English should be translated into Chinese or English and be certified by notarization. Both original and official English translated version are required.
*4. Academic transcript of highest education
Academic Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English should be translated into Chinese or English and be certified by notarization. Both original and official English translated version are required.
5. Supporting Documents: Certificate of Good Conduct
Provided by your current/previous school/company in Chinese/English to improve your success rate.You can download a template or sample from here.
For applicants who are in China: If you are an employee, you still need to provide employment separation certificate and your current residence permit. If you are a student, you need to provide transfer certificate, leaving certificate, certificate of attendance rate issued by previous school and your current residence permit.
- How to Apply
- It only take you minutes to apply through CUCAS!
- 1. Click “Apply Now” button on the right side of the page.
- 2. Fill in online application form. (About 10 minutes)
- 3. Upload required documents. (About 5 minutes)
- 4. Pay the application fee and CUCAS service fee (CUCAS is authorized to collect on the university’s behalf). (About 5 minutes)
- 5. Click “Submit” button.
- Important notice: You need to create a CUCAS account before apply. Account name needs to be a valid email, which will be used to receive CUCAS notice about your application process.
CUCAS provides best service in this industry to international students. Apply through CUCAS, you will enjoy:
- • Free Online Consulting, response within one working day.
- • Free access to Chinese university database, 20,000+ programs in 300+ top Chinese universities are available.
- • Free and easy-to-use online application system, only need 20 minutes to complete application.
- • Free accommodation booking.
- • Free DHL delivery - fast arrival and guarantee to get admission package.
- • Mostly get admission letter in 2 weeks.
- • Free visa guide, per-departure guide and students handbook.
- • Airport pick-up Service.
- • Money Transfer Service.
- • Chance to find alumni.
- Learn More>>
- • The service fee has been updated to 100 USD March 3, 2020
- • The content has been updated. November 12, 2019
|·Starting Date :||
|Teaching Language :||Chinese|
|Application Deadline:||Jul 10 , 2021|
|Tuition :||RMB 13,000 In Total|
|Application Fee:||USD 75 (Non-Refundable)|
|Service Fee:||USD 100 (Non-Refundable)|
Feel Free to Ask Questions!
Tel : (86) 010-82865135
E-mail : email@example.com